OBESITY is defined as a state of excess accumulation of body fat. It can result from increased energy intake, decreased energy expenditure or a combination of both. The most widely used method to gauge obesity is BODY MASS INDEX 30-50% of variability in fat stores is believed to be genetically determined. Increased mortality from obesity is primarily due to Cardiovascular disease, hypertension, Gall bladder disease, Diabetes mellitus, sleep apnoea, osteoarthritis and certain forms of cancer such as uterine cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer and colorectal cancers. Obesity is a chronic medical condition that requires ongoing treatment and lifestyle modifications.
|Healthy weight||18.5 - 24.9||--||--|
|Overweight||25 - 29.9||--||Increased|
|Obesity||30.0 - 34.9||I||High|
|Obesity||35.0 - 39.9||II||Very High|
|Extreme Obesit||≥ 40||III||Extremely High|
What are the factors considered as complicating in Obesity / Metabolic Syndrome?
- Increased waist circumference
- Diagnosed Diabetes Mellitus Type 2 (On/Off medication)
- Raised waist to hip ratio
- High Serum Insulin Levels
- Fasting Blood Glucose ≥ 100mg/dl
- High Blood Pressure
- High Triglycerides
- High LDL - Cholesterol
- Low HDL - Cholesterol
- High Serum Uric Acid Levels
- Male Sex
- Age < 40 years at the time of diagnosis
The medical management for weight management has to be taken strictly under medical supervision of a consultant.
As we pack more and more into each day, we also start aging faster. There are two schools of thought :
1. Obesity itself is a risk factor or a direct cause for many diseases like Diabetes Mellitus-II, Insulin Resistance, Metabolic syndrome, Hypertension, Heart diseases, Obstructive sleep apnea, Respiratory diseases, Gall stones, PCOD, Impotence, Infertility, Backache, Depression, Cancers (Breast, Cervix, Uterus, Colon, Rectum, Pancreas etc.)
2. Obesity is a consequence of many underlying diseases like Diabetes Mellitus-II, PCOD, Hypothyroidism, and Other hormonal imbalances like Hypogonadism, Menopause, Andropause, somatopause, Depression, Central Nervous System pathology and many more conditions.
All these conditions influence the quality of life and survival adversely.